Tile Floor: CHECK!
The tile floor was hard work. First we had to pull up all the old tile. I never realized how well those buggers are stuck to the floor! I did most of the demo ripping out those dang tiles. I had blisters on my hand from the tool used to get them up.
Here is a picture of the floor shortly after tile removal.

We were big on keeping the floor swept up. It just felt better working on a project with a clean floor. :-) Shane went through and removed as much of the old morter as possible. Get the floor as smooth as we could.
We went to Home Depot/Lowes to look for tile for the floor. We found one that we really liked. It was 18 inches across. As we were just about to get it and were calculating the square footage of the bathroom and how many tiles we'd need I discovered a 20 inch tile that I liked better. It was cost a little more per tile than the 18 inch tile did, but over all we'd be buying less tiles.
We bought the tiles before we were really ready to start laying them just because we were so excited to find something we liked so well. This is a picture of the floor with the tiles layed out to give us an idea of what it would look like.
Shane worked on laying the tile floor while I was in Utah over Easter weekend. The 20 inch tiles worked out so well very few had to be cut to fit the room.
We decided on a dark gray grout for the tile floor. I hate when light tile gets old and dirty and gray. Figured might as well start out with dark gray grout. The tile we chose has a lot of pock marks in it, adds to the character. The grout would get stuck in those holes, but it really helped to tie it all together.
Here is a closeup of the tile floor and the grout lines.
Here is a picture of the floor shortly after tile removal.

We were big on keeping the floor swept up. It just felt better working on a project with a clean floor. :-) Shane went through and removed as much of the old morter as possible. Get the floor as smooth as we could.
We went to Home Depot/Lowes to look for tile for the floor. We found one that we really liked. It was 18 inches across. As we were just about to get it and were calculating the square footage of the bathroom and how many tiles we'd need I discovered a 20 inch tile that I liked better. It was cost a little more per tile than the 18 inch tile did, but over all we'd be buying less tiles.
We bought the tiles before we were really ready to start laying them just because we were so excited to find something we liked so well. This is a picture of the floor with the tiles layed out to give us an idea of what it would look like.
Shane worked on laying the tile floor while I was in Utah over Easter weekend. The 20 inch tiles worked out so well very few had to be cut to fit the room.
We decided on a dark gray grout for the tile floor. I hate when light tile gets old and dirty and gray. Figured might as well start out with dark gray grout. The tile we chose has a lot of pock marks in it, adds to the character. The grout would get stuck in those holes, but it really helped to tie it all together.
Here is a closeup of the tile floor and the grout lines.


1 Comments:
Good call on the dark grout. Yes vinegar works pretty well to clean grout, but nothing's perfect. You have saved yourself a lot of headache. It's looking really good! I can't wait to see it for real (you know, in October when we come to see the balloons with all the spare time and disposable income we will have.)
By
Proud Mum, at 4:47 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home